Monday, August 13, 2012

Brunch and Burning eyes

Sunday I got together with some friends at the west side market cafe.

Most, if not all of the food is from the West side market, so everything was really fresh and delicious.  I got an open faced omlet with bacon, spinach, cheddar cheese.  So tasty!!

Today (monday) I decided it was time to clean my oven.  I have been making a good amount of oven bacon (see recipe here).  Oven bacon may be the most delicious and easiest way to make bacon ever!


Last week I tried to bake chicken and noticed the oven was smoking a bit.  When I looked inside, I realized the oven desperately needed to be cleaned.

My oven has a self cleaning feature, which I decided to try out.  I made sure everything was out of the oven and then turned the 2 dials on the oven to clean.  3 hours later I realized my oven wasn't even warm.  I figured out that you have to use the clock feature to tell it how long to clean for, so, I set a time, turned on the exhaust and went to watch TV (toddlers in tiaras).

After about 45 minutes the condo started smelling horrible.  I decided to open the windows to help alleviate the horrificness coming from the kitchen.  I went to my bedroom first.  Before I opened my window I realized that there were spiderwebs between the window and the screen.  Spiderwebs with 2 spiders still on them!

Thank goodness I'm not super grossed out by spiders.  I calmly went into the kitchen to wet some paper towels to clean off the spiderwebs.  While in the kitchen, I notice my eyes were burning and watering (later I found out this isn't uncommen when running self cleaning on the oven).

I quickly get out of the kitchen and start cleaning up the spiderwebs (the spiders scuttled back outside while I was cleaning).


I checked the second bedroom and the porch door and they both had spiderwebs.  I had to go back in the kitchen multiple times to get paper towels (and throw away paper towels) coated in cobwebs and grime from the windows.  By the end of it I was leaking tears left and right because my eyes were burning so bad.

The moral of the story is:  Make sure to wipe down the oven after making oven bacon, or else you will find yourself crying while fighting monstrous spiderwebs

4 comments:

  1. I like the moral of the story. You learned a valuable lesson! it's always best to clean as you go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although on a good note, I found and eliminated spiderwebs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the moral of the story should be that cooking healthy foods (chicken) seems to be bad for your oven. It clearly prefers bacon.

    ReplyDelete